If I Knew Then Advice on careers, finance, and life from Harvard Business School's Class of 1963
William J. White
Back to Top
- Life is all about giving back. Start early.
- Doing something you love is not work.
- Don’t ever do anything just for the money.
- Making a contribution to your family, job, or friends is what really drives satisfaction.
- Grandchildren are the greatest!
- Phase into retirement slowly.
- Stay around young people. They will keep you young.
- Maintain balance in your life through your family, religion, career, friends, and hobbies.
- Networking is about giving — not taking.
- Take chances with your career. Don’t be afraid to take a step backward.
- Keep your sense of humor. There is fun to be found in most everything we do.
- A strong religious belief can solve a lot of problems.
- Long, happy marriages are related to many common interests.
- A wonderful spouse is a true gift.
- You are never as good or as bad as you may think you are. Stay humble.
- Curiosity and maintaining an open mind seem to be underrated leadership traits.
- Don’t avoid the screening tests and early warnings about your health.