Steps to find fulfilling work:
- Take the initiative to investigate the places you think are of interest. Ask good questions.
- Go with the self-assurance of having written on an index card each of your past accomplishments (including where you simply helped other people do their thing) in three forms:
- A simple phrase; e.g., “top salesman in New York office for three years”
- A three-sentence statement of the problem, your solution, and the result
- A one-page explanation or anecdote to share if asked to give details
- Use those cards deftly to encourage people to talk to you — showing you listen on their level and understand whatever they tell you. Remember: The more they talk, the smarter they’ll think you are.